Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thing#22: Podcasts

I liked Podcast Alley because of the easy searching options. You could chose from a podcast genre (I chose Education), and then narrow your search by entering a search term in the "Search for a Podcast" box. I entered "library", and found 146 results, mostly pod casts from libraries. I was amazed at the variety of pod casts offered in this area. There was an enticing one called, "The Library Survival Guide" that gave research tips to patrons. One was for events held in the library. One library offered "Click a story" for kids to listen to a story online. One podcast featured book, movie, and music reviews by the teen patrons of that library. One library featured business seminars to help businesses succeed. There was a podcast for one librarian's thought on things of general interest to librarians. LibVib featured headlines in library news. I added that feed to my Bloglines account.

PodcastDirectory was set up in a different format that wasn't as user friendly for me. I clicked on "education" and got a list of topics, but library wasn't one of them. I clicked on "K-12", but it just took me back to the main menu of topics. I choose choose "education" again to see if there was anything for an elementary school, but got topics such as hypnotism, weight control, and quitting smoking. I'm not finding what I want quickly so I'm ready to move on.

Podcast.com looked professional and had pod casts from various news agencies like Fox News easily accessible. You could also easily e-mail one to another person. It seemed slow and took a long time to navigate, maybe because it was right after work during peak user time?

iTunes looked sleek and clean without all the distracting advertising of some of the other directories. It was easy to see all the options, and there was even a link at the bottom with tips for creating and publishing your own podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment