Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thing #14 Delicious

Delicious is full of possibilities and I really liked what I saw. One advantage is that if I bookmark something at work, I can access it from home, it's not tied to one computer. It was fun to create the bookmarks and then assign the tags. I love that search feature as I won't have to remember what each bookmarked site contains, I can just read the tags to refresh my memory.

It was interesting to see what other people had bookmarked, and helpful to see which were the most used sites by the number of bookmarks. Some of the comments left by other users were useful, and I used some of their tags as well.

When I was on the Nebraska Library Commission's account, I found some timely information from the Saving Your Treasurers site about how to preserve photos. It helped me decide what to do about my old albums with the sticky pages.

The Holdrege Public Library account was incredible, with 94 pages of useful sites. What a great asset for library patrons! There were product reviews by consumers for things you might want to purchase. For instance, if you clicked on Product and selected Digital Camera, then in the "How will you use it?" box if gave you options to select like: ease of use, size, battery life. There were sites for how to find a doctor to treat cancer, grocery coupons, free credit reports, how to videos, and even a food time line that showed the history of food and recipes.

On Nebraska Access my tags were: magazines, newspapers, genealogy, and business. I looked at the tags other users used, and thought that professional seemed too vague, as did database. Resources seemed like a good tag to describe the material available.

Libraries can point patrons to some of these sites and they will be able to look up the information they want to research by themselves, and find a lot more information they are interested in while they are looking around.

For book groups discussing a book they've read or a book topic, it would be an easy way to point them to resources that contribute to the discussion. You could tag each site with the name of your group, and then they could easily find all the sites and perhaps even add more of their own. I think the interactive part makes it more valuable than just an easy way to create accessible bookmarks.

This will definitely be a site I anticipate using.

No comments:

Post a Comment